There are an ever-growing number of online tools and resources related to reading material and digital storytelling. This week, your task is to check out and experiment with some of these. Remember to Diigo anything you find potentially useful.
For comprehensive lists of resources, check out the
Digital Storytelling Guide
Sources of Books/Reading Materials
- International Children’s Digital Library ChildrensLibrary.org The Alien 1000’s of children’s books from around the world , sortable by age level and book type.
- Story Online Storylineonline.net
Videos of famous people reading storybooks. Includes printable handouts with activities, but not the original text of the books.
- FreeKidsBooks Freekidsbooks.org Free downloadable storybooks.
- BooksShouldbeFree.com Public domain audio books available for browsing. Easy to search, nice interface.
- Booksie Sections: Children Young Adult Example: A different Twilight and a different Bella 40,000+ plus short stories, novels, and essays written and published by users. Other users can comment on stories (which usually includes very authentic teenage language).
- StarFall.com http://www.starfall.com/
Excellent resource for younger students learning to read
High-Interest sources of reading material for students
- Time for Kids Simplified articles from the magazine, Kid reporters, and lesson materials.
- Seventeen magazine Fashion, Beauty, and Celebrity articles aimed at teen girls
- Boy’s Life
How to build a ship in a bottleOriginally a scouting oriented magazine. Includes video game reviews, jokes, and blogs.
- National Geographic Kids
Tigers Cuddle with ApesPrint-friendly materials on countries, animals, and science. The site also has a variety of videos, games, puzzles, and photo activities.
- Kidjutsu, Comics for Kids
Free comics sorted by type and age level
Batoto http://www.batoto.netDr. Frost Comic DiscussionInternational comics translated into different languages (mostly English)
- Soompi http://www.soompi.com/
Kpop celebrity news and very active discussion forums
- Allkpop http://www.allkpop.comShort articles about Kpop in English
- Kpop Lyrics http://www.kpoplyrics.netAfterschool Heaven Kpop lyrics romanized and translated into English, along with some Kpop news stories
- StoryBird Storybird.com
Seven Ways to Survive School
Allows users to make their own visual stories using contributed illustrations. Thousands of user generated stories to read and discuss.
- StoryJumper (how to, create, examples)
Dumplings and Mandoo
(example Seven Ways to Survive School)
- Utellstory.com Overview How-to Video Example
Photo/Video Story Makers
- PhotoPeach Example
- Flipagram Example
- Powtoon – part presentation tool, part animated video maker
Love Story Example
- Windows Movie Maker Guide
Make your own comics and animations
TO DO Tasks
- Look through Reading Resources and the Digital Storytelling Guide Use Diigo to bookmark sites and/or post site reviews on your blog.
- Create a comic using StoryboardThat.com and post it on your blog
- Create a Slideshow with music using WMM or Photopeach and post it on your blog.
- Embed or post links to interesting stories you find.