The goal of the first week is to get oriented to the course, acquainted with each other, and get set up with some of the accounts and tools we’ll be using and to start sampling from the buffet of CALL resources. Please watch the video below first.
Week#1 To Do Checklist (Please complete everything on this checklist by March 9) See below for details and links
- Create a Gmail address
- Add Jeff to your Google+ circles
- Make sure the Google Hangout plugin is installed on your Chrome browser.
- Join the Learning Call Google Community
- Create a Blogger blog and publish a short post about anything you like.
- Create a Diigo Account & join the Diigo Learning Call group.
- Take a look at the CALL Buffet of Websites and use Diigo to bookmark at least three sites.
- Join the TES531 Band
- Complete the Entrance Survey
- Please use Chrome (not MSIE) for these tasks. It will make life easier. If you don’t already have it installed, you can download it at http://google.com/chrome
- Go to gmail.com and Create a gmail account if you don’t already have one. (this ID will be used for public posting. If you want to remain anonymous online, please choose a pseudonym – don’t use your real name as an ID).
PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE, REMEMBER YOUR ID & PASSWORD!
Please post your gmail address on the TES531 Account Info Page
- Go to Jeff’s Google+ Page and add him to your ‘circles’.
- Join the LearningCall Google Community
- Make sure the Google Hangout plugin is installed in your Chrome browser by going to http://www.google.com/hangouts/ Hangout Guide
- Create a Blog by going to http://blogger.com/ or clicking the ‘Google Matrix/More/Blogger’ from your Gmail menu. Students who have created blogs for previous courses with me are welcome to use those again. Blogger Guide and Screencast here.
Please post the URL of your blog on the TES531 Account Info Page
- From former CALL Participants
… and others
- Create an account at Diigo.com Register here. Step by step Diigo Guide here. Make sure to Join the Learning Call Group .
Diigo is a social bookmarking tool that allows you to bookmark sites from any computer, share those links with others, and tune in to other peoples’ links.
After you’ve registered, try bookmarking at least three sites. Sample the Buffet! Go to the Websites page and explore some of the CALL related websites . For a Korean-friendly look at some great CALL sites and tools, you can check out 오정훈 ‘s new site: http://www.ismartedu.net/ You can also look through some of the skills guides listed in the left side column. Try to bookmark anything interesting using Diigo. Please click on ‘my library’ and post your Diigo profile address on the TES531 Account Info Page
- Once you have created your blog and Diigo account, complete the Entrance Survey and Online Session Preference Form. The session preference form is to help me figure out the best time to schedule online Hangouts.
- Join the TES531 Band and install the app on your phone if you don’t already have it.
Website: Band.us Apps: Android Apple
- (Optional) Watch Salman Khan’s Ted Talk about The Flipped Classroom and/or the KBS Flipped Classroom Documentary. This course is conducted as a type of ‘Flipped Classroom’ and this will provide you with some background information about this approach.